Sunday, January 29, 2012

We All Despise Discomfort

Like many men, I traversed middle age doing pretty much what I wanted.  I ate and drank the same things as when I was in my 20s and 30s.
And then one day you realize nothing fits.  Even your socks feel a bit too small.  Stairs are to be avoided.  Walking anywhere wastes valuable time.  Annual physicals are dreaded mainly because your doctor is going to tell you what you already know but refuse to admit; you're fat, you have high blood pressure and your oxygen intake rivals that of the common field mouse.

I couldn't jog anymore as my knees made ominous sounds when I squatted down to get something out of the pantry.  I didn't feel I'd use an expensive swim club membership and going for walks with geriatric sneakers was not up for consideration.

I did have that old Fuji bike I bought in the late 1970s.  Set of new tires, some oil and I'd be good to go.  I took the old bike to a local shop for a "tune up" and $100 later, I was on the road.  Ah, the feeling of wind on my balding scalp, the satisfaction of powering yourself where you needed and wanted to go. And then the discovery that not only did my legs burn but my breathing sounded like a freight train going up a long incline.  This isn't feeling like the fun I had anticipated.

I was however committed to personal improvement.  After all, I had a $100 invested in this venture of bicycling to fitness.  Boy, I had a lot to learn.

Bicycling pays dividends for time and effort invested.  Don't invest time on the bike, your legs will continue to hurt and you'll develop a phobia for hills.  I walked up so many hills my first season on the Fuji that a lady behind me one day at a store check out asked why I wouldn't get my bike fixed.  I asked what she meant and she told me she lived on a hill that was part of my usual route and kept seeing me walking up the hill pushing my bike.  Note to self: Change the exercise route...today.

That first summer was hard but I slowly started to see subtle changes.  I now had calves.  Yes, there was the beginning of actual definition in the muscles of both upper and lower legs.  I could climb a flight of stairs without contemplating a 911 call.  My pants felt a little less constricting around my waist.  I was on my way.  I think I'mm going to like this.  All the pain, sweat and embarrassment were paying off.
Now, if only I could go faster and climb hills without fear...

No comments:

Post a Comment